Friday, June 8, 2007

Nifonged in Nicaragua: New Eric Volz Letter Addresses Media Coverage

.
I have been informed that my case has "officially hit mainstream international media" as one email mentioned. I have mixed feelings about this and had hoped that things would not grow to this level. Regardless of how the press is telling the story, they are telling it and it is bringing awareness to the case. For that I'm grateful because I know that it is helping to reveal the truth. I would like to thank those who have reported with integrity and professionalism.
.
I have limited comprehension of what the media has done with this story so I can only comment on the articles that I have read and the briefings I have received from my team. I have not seen any TV segments or heard radio segments. I have only read a few of the main periodicals and transcripts.
.
I must say it is very strange for me to sit alone in my cell and read how total strangers interpret who Doris Jimenez was and who I am. At first, I had this naïve idea that once the international press started to investigate the story they would contrast the way the local Nicaraguan media had been manipulating and filtering the facts to shift the agenda. After the first articles came out I realized I was wrong. The international media had all the facts but chose to present the story in a way that did little to exonerate me. That said, there are journalists and news programs that have a done a decent job, and some have done a great job.
.
I was told recently that reporting on my case has become much more focused on the facts of the case and on my innocence. I'm happy to report that even here there seems to be a slight turn in the press in that media here is starting to question the initial assumptions about my case and investigate the holes in the accusations against me.
.
In some of the letters there has been some anger and dislike expressed towards Nicaragua for what has happened. Although I'm grateful for the support, this is not the right approach and I would like to challenge these people to reconsider their perspective. From my perspective, Nicaragua remains a beautiful and unique country. This hasn't changed because of what has happened to me. Just like any country, there remain social and economic challenges and needed improvement in other areas. The miscarriage of justice in my case is not the fault of the Nicaraguan people.
.
Again, my situation has created a bit of a Catch 22. We need the media, but are, to a point, at the mercy of all the issues that drive the media business. Ultimately though, the story is reaching a collective audience that is learning and thinking, not just about my case, but, about injustice everywhere and for that I'm grateful.
.
Thank you for continuing to follow the story, support our efforts to inform those who can make a difference and keep hope alive.
.
With love,
.
Eric V.

No comments: